The IPA was founded in 1865 as an
organization for Illinois publishers. It has evolved into one of the
largest state newspaper associations in the country representing more
than 450 daily and weekly newspapers.
The Association spent much of its early
history housed in Gregory Hall on the campus of the University of
Illinois. In 1975, it relocated to Springfield and settled into its
permanent headquarters in April of 2000.
The IPA has evolved from a fraternal
organization to one whose agenda now focuses on a wide array of
legislative, business, advertising, educational and legal services. The
IPA is governed by a board of directors of 15 newspaper executives
representing an equal number of weekly and daily newspapers from
The Board of Directors determines the
legislative and business practices that are carried out by the IPA’s
full-time staff of 15 employees.
More than 450 newspapers are members of
the Illinois Press Association, making it one of the largest state
press organization in the country. The IPA continues to provide
professional education, government access and newspaper advertising
promotion to members. They also provide assistance for Newspapers in
Education and literacy programs, education and promotion of the First
Amendment, information on evolving technology and new media, and "hot